Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A little potty training for all of us

Today's lesson was brought to me by one of the tiny little people that has taken over our home and our hearts.  She is in the process of learning how to go to the bathroom in the bathroom.  For those of you reading that have kids you are smiling or laughing. For those of you who are not yet at that point...well your home is cleaner then ours is...for now.

Having kids totally changed my idea of what my relationship with God must look like.  And this weeks little adventure in potty training seems to be a great parallel.  We are going to have accidents.  Some are going to be bigger then others.  Sometimes our accidents are due to laziness and other times it's as simple as not understanding the process. 

I find myself struggling with patience throughout the day, just wanting to put a diaper back on and go about my business.  But that wouldn't be beneficial for anybody really.  It takes a lot of will power this potty training.  You are at the beckon call of a two year old for their every waking hour.  You must get up from what you are doing with quickness if asked.  There are many loads of laundry every day and you find yourself cleaning up things you never thought you'd be cleaning up.  Let's just say they didn't have a class in high school for this kind of thing. 

But those precious little eyes are counting on you.  Counting on our help every step of they way.  Put your self in their position for just a minute and think about what it would be like not to know how to get your self to the bathroom.  How frustrating and embarrassing.  They're counting on us to get them through what I believe is the biggest accomplishment of their lives. 

Some kids (so I hear) just seem to get it.  They make few mistakes and move into this new life with ease.  Some...not so much. 


Sometimes along this road the smallest things can be a great reminder of who we are and what we really have.  In the past 20 years I have made countless mistakes.  There have been accidents, some big and some little. But my best friend has always been there to clean up after and offer me advise on how to do it a little better the next time.  He has done countless loads of laundry on my behalf and sat there by my side while I was frustrated, excited or confused. There have been times when I've needed a good stern talking to and others when I've looked up with those big puppy dog eyes and tears welling up that a big hug was warranted. Lucky for me he has much more patience then I can even imagine.  He has never been too tired to help.  Never had to sit one out due to the amount of frustration I have caused and at the end of every day he always tucks me in and says, youll get it soon, just keep trying.  I won't give up on you, even after you've given up on yourself.  Don't worry child...we'll start fresh tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment