Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Do we miss "the point"

I recently read a couple of things that are quickly changing the way I think.  The first one was a book by an amazing author named Brennan Manning called " The Furious Longing of God".  Brennan, (cause he'd be insulted if I called him Mr. Manning) in my opinion understands God's Grace and Love just about better then any other person I've ever encountered in word or in person.  This book is about just that, God's unconditional love for his people and how much he desires to be with us.  There are some choice passages from the book but I really suggest just buying it.  It's a quick read.  One of the main things I took away from my experience with this written work was that we miss "the point" a lot. At least I do. 

I also recently read a little article on home schooling.  This was a propaganda piece where the writer used many verses and a story about a bunch of kids in 1212 that tried to evangelize a nation only to meet their demise, to his points benefit.  I am not posting a link to this article because I don't really think anybody else needs to read it.  It is my opinion that the author of this article, and many others like it, have manipulated scripture to fit their agenda.  This is what I'd like to call Christian propaganda.  It certainly doesn't appeal to me and I would venture a guess it does even less for those who don't know Christ yet. 

There is a lot of this around these days in many aspects of life with a lot of "hot topics".  Christians are always on the forefront of the arguing ground.  I am not above it.  Until now I hope.  I have often gotten caught up in the fight and the rules, what is right, what is wrong.  A lot of this arguing is going on between only the Christians, with the rest of the world just looking on and laughing. 

This brings me back to Brennan's message.  Something he took a lot of heat for in the upper level theological circles.  That's the message of Christ.  I'm not going to use this blog to preach at you.  If you have a bible get it out and read it.  If you don't you can get one free on the Internet at youversion.com.  Read about His life.  What did He come to do and how did He do it.  After all, His life is the one in which Christians are to model theirs after right? Did He use propaganda or sling hate?  Was there bullying or strong arming people to do things His way?  Throughout history these types of tactics don't seem to get anybody anywhere. 

But Love.  Maybe that's one of the biggest examples and gifts we were given and always seem to over look.  What if love was just a little more important than the rules?  Just a little.  Then what would happen?  It's too easy to forget the real message in these times of right's and wrongs and competitions and pride.     

I'm going to wrap up today by saying I'm very grateful there are parents out there that are willing and capable of home schooling their children.  It is a gift to be able to spend so much time with them and pass on a legacy of knowledge.  I also want to say how grateful I am for all those out there who have taken public education on as a profession and a calling.  There is no greater calling in this world then passing on the gift of education and a society's history.  With all the rules and regulations today these teacher have a tuff job.  I believe both are following the scriptures, putting children first, and raising them up in The Lord.

                                                                                                                                Gal 5 (emphasis 6)

facebook.com/findingnineveh

No comments:

Post a Comment